REIG JOFRE appointed Alex Sanfeliu as the new Global Head of Pharmaceutical Technologies business unit

Barcelona, REIG JOFRE, (BME:RJF), a pharmaceutical company listed on the continuous market of the Spanish stock exchange, welcomes Alex Sanfeliu as the Global Head of the Pharmaceutical Technologies Business Unit.

Alex Sanfeliu, a graduate in Industrial Engineering from UPC and holding an MBA from IESE, brings to REIG JOFRE extensive experience of over twenty years in high-responsibility roles in the commercial and strategic fields within the pharmaceutical industry, as well as in consulting. He has worked in various countries, including the United Kingdom, France, and Switzerland, and has contributed his expertise to prominent international companies, including Novartis.

REIG JOFRE structures the activities of the Pharmaceutical Technologies unit around the specialized development and manufacturing of pharmaceutical products intended for use in hospital environments. These products are marketed globally through its network of subsidiary companies in Spain, France, Portugal, Belgium, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and Poland, as well as its extensive network of commercial partners, including distributors and licensees, in other countries.

This is the largest unit, contributing 46% of the turnover at the close of the 2022 fiscal year. Within these results, 80% of the revenue comes from the development and manufacturing of proprietary products, produced in the sterile injectables and lyophilized plant located in Barcelona, as well as in the penicillin-derived antibiotics plants in Toledo. The remaining 20% of revenue is generated through development and manufacturing agreements for third parties. The company also has a facility dedicated to the development and manufacturing of topical dermatological products in Malmö, Sweden.

This division, focused on hospital-use products, generates 62% of its sales outside of Spain. During the year 2022, it experienced significant growth, surpassing 20% compared to the previous year, driven primarily by the European market, followed by Asian markets.

The appointment of Alex Sanfeliu is part of the 2023-2027 REIG JOFRE strategic plan, which marks a phase of ambitious international expansion, capitalizing on the substantial investments made in the production plants.

REIG JOFRE, founded in 1929 in Barcelona and dedicated to the research, development, manufacturing, and marketing of pharmaceutical products and food supplements, structures its activities into three business units: Pharmaceutical Technologies (sterile injectables, lyophilized products, and antibiotics), Specialty Pharmacare (dermatology, osteoarticular, women’s health, and pediatrics), and Consumer Healthcare (food supplements under the Forté Pharma brand and OTC products). REIG JOFRE employs 1,213 collaborators and operates four development and production centers in Europe (2 in Toledo, 1 in Barcelona, and 1 in Sweden); it has subsidiary companies in 8 countries (Spain, France, Portugal, Belgium, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Poland, and Singapore) and collaborates with 160 commercial partners in more than 70 countries. In 2022, the company achieved a turnover of €271 million.

Learn more (PDF)